This Orange Caramel Sauce is a perfect sauce to drizzle over Orange Almond Cake or pour over vanilla ice cream or use as a dip with fresh apple wedges. This is a special treat.
Tip : The sauce will thicken when it cools. You can either add more cream after it has cooled, or reheat in your microwave (1 minute at a time).
- 1 orange zested
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, orange juice, orange zest and a pinch of salt in a medium sized sauce pan placed over medium heat.
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- When the mixture forms a foam, swirl the pan or stir with a wooden spoon. lf the mixture seems to rise in the pan, remove from heat and stir off the heat to reduce the level.
- Reduce heat and continue swirling/stirring until the foam forms larger bubbles and the color of the mixture starts to turn a golden brown.
- Remove caramel from heat, and add butter, stirring the mixture constantly. The mixture will rise and start to bubble rapidly,
- While still off the heat, add cream, and again stir constantly as the mixture will again rise and start to bubble.
- Continue stirring until the caramel is smooth, then transfer to mason jars.