Are you craving a great steak to share? One that looks good served family-style? Try this juicy and delicious Pan-Seared Tri-Tip Steak topped with a bit of Homemade Red Onion Jam. Add a side of easy Cooktop Roasted Potatoes and some steamed asparagus to complete the dinner. The Red Onion Jam is just to make it a bit special.
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Generously season the steak with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and allow to sit at room temperature for about an hour before cooking.
- Cut the bottom inch from the asparagus, place in a microwave safe dish and rinse under cold water. Cover with cling wrap and set aside until after the steak has been cooked.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, or a nonstick skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Drop a teaspoonful of butter in the pan, and immediately place the steak on top of the butter. Do not move the steak and sear for 3 minutes. Turn the steak, and add another teaspoonful of butter to the pan and immediately place the steak on top of the butter. Sear for another 3 minutes without moving the steak.
- Remove steak and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Place the asparagus covered with cling wrap in microwave and heat on high for 1 minute, remove, drain and cover with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain before serving.
- After 5 minutes, slice the steak into 1 1/2" thick slices.
- Top the steak with some Homemade Red Onion Jam and surround with Cook top Roast Potatoes and asparagus spears.