This recipe is Steak Fajitas is a restaurant style recipe. It is really simple, it can be made in one pan and it just needs time to marinate. A good choice for a dinner following a busy day…
Tip : This is a 'do-ahead' kind of dinner, allow time for the steak to marinate and for the steak to 'dry' in the fridge. Don't forget to bring to room temperature before searing.
- 1 outside cut skirt steak about 12 inches long
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium Spanish onion thickly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp sour cream
- 2-3 tbsp salsa
- 2 soft flour tortillas per person
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Mix together 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tbsp chili powder reserving a couple of tablespoons full in a small bowl.
- Combine marinade ingredients with a 12 inch piece of outside piece of skirt steak in a resealable plastic bag. If you cannot get an outside cut, which is a bit better, an inside cut will work as well.
- Place in refrigerator for an hour, but up to 3 hours. Remove steak from bag and place on a rack over a sheet pan and return to refrigerate, uncovered. The idea is to 'dry' the steak. Keep in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, or overnight if you are not in a hurry.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator an hour before you are ready to prepare.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Add room temperature steak and sear for about 4-5 minutes, then turn and sear for another 4-5 minutes,
- Remove steak to a cutting board and allow to rest while you are cooking the vegetables.
- Seed and slice one half of each of red, green and/or yellow bell pepper, peel and slice one medium Spanish onion.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan used to sear the steak, heat should be high or medium high.
- Add onions and bell peppers and toss to combine.
- When vegetables are done, about 4-5 minutes, slice steak into 1/2" strips and place on top of veggies.
- Place 4 tortillas between two paper towels and heat on high for 30 seconds in a microwave oven.
- Return heat under the skillet to high and pour reserved marinade around the outside of the skillet, this will cause the skillet to steam and sizzle (like in a restaurant!).
- Spoon a tablespoonful of sour cream in the center of each tortilla.
- Add a portion of steak, peppers and onions, top with salsa.
- Fold over and serve.
You can serve this as a salad or in tortillas. I have done it both ways.