This soup is SOOOOO good. I have made it both with sour cream and heavy cream. It’s the last thing to add, or omit. Beautiful either way!
Tip : Chorizo has a fair amount of paprika in it, which is what gives this soup that red-golden color. If you are using mild (or hot) Italian sausage, add 1/2 tbspn of mild Hungarian paprika after you have browned the meat and added the onions. This will yield the same results.
- 1/2 lb chorizo or Italian bulk sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cans (11 oz) corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp thyme
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream (optional)
Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat
- If not using bulk chorizo or Italian sausage, remove casings or add 1/2 lb chorizo or Italian bulk sausage to hot oil in sauce pan.
- Allow to brown on one side (do not stir for a few minutes) then break up and allow to brown again about 3-4 minutes per side
- Add 1 cup chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes
- Add 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper to meat mixture and stir to combine, cook for another 5- 10 minutes
- Add 2 tsp thyme, 1 bay leaf and 2 cans (11 oz) corn and 5 cups chicken stock to cover by a couple of inches.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and ladle into bowls; add either a generous table spoonful of sour cream or heavy cream.
Omit the chorizo sausage and substitute vegetable for chicken stock and you will get the same results!