Tomato Tatin is an incredible appetizer! It is a recipe that is a little complicated, but if you think it through, it is easy enough to manage. The trick is to buy really red and round tomatoes, preferably the same size and ones that nicely fit into a small ramekin.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sherry or apple cider vinegar
- 4 medium ripe red tomato
- 1 large Spanish onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp oil or unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 package prepared pie crust
- 1 egg whisked to combine
- 1 tbsp water
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe
- Heat honey in a small sauce pan over medium high heat until the honey starts to turn color,
- Add vinegar, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until reduced by 3/4
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to assemble
- Peel and slice one Spanish onion
- Heat oil or butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat, then add sliced onions and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Sprinkle the onions with sugar, salt and black pepper, and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the onions are a golden brown color.
- Bring a medium stock pot filled with water to a boil and gently lower whole tomatoes into the boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove and allow to cool until you can handle
- Make a small shallow cut on the tomato and using the knife edge, pull the skin off the tomatoes, this should be easy to do
- Cut off the top 1/4 off each tomato, and using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds and juice and the main connecting membrane from each tomato
- Pre heat oven to 375°
- Fill each tomato half with the reserved onion mixture.
- Cut rounds of pie pastry to be about size of the ramekin (place the ramekin up side down on the dough, and using small paring knife, cut out a circle for the top of the ramekin.
- Pour a tablespoon or so of gastrique in the bottom of each ramekin
- Place the stuffed tomato, cut side up, in the ramekin then top the tomato with the pastry. Cut a vent in the top of each pastry cover and brush with the egg wash.
- Place the ramekins on a foil lined cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet in a pre heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry has a nice golden color.
- When done, allow the ramekins to cool slightly, then cut around each pastry round to loosen the tomato and the pie crust.
- Place your serving plate on the top of the ramekin and invert, dropping the tomato on top of the pastry, the gastrique will also be poured onto the plate,