I just had to try this! Buttermilk Fried Chicken is really different than breaded fried chicken. It is surprisingly fast and really delicious, give it a try if you have a deep cast iron pot or a wok as it has to be deep fried.
- 3 chicken legs drum sticks and thighs, skin on and bone in.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Asian chili sauce (hot)
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon white vinegar to make buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose-flour to dredge chicken
- 2 cups canola oil or Ghee
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Combine buttermilk, salt, garlic powder and chili sauce in a large mixing bowl and add chicken pieces, set aside to marinate for at least one hour.
- After the hour, drain chicken pieces on a wire rack, and while draining prepare oil for frying.
- Pour canola oil in a deep cast iron pot or wok and heat over medium high/high heat; to test, drop a bread cube into the oil and if it starts to sizzle and turn brown, the oil is hot enough.
- After the pieces have drained for a few minutes, dredge each piece in flour.
- Gently immerse chicken pieces into hot oil, reduce to medium high, and fry for 10-12 minutes per side or until the chicken turns a golden brown, then turn to fry the second side.
- Remove from hot oil drain on a paper towel and serve.