This is a simple one pan dinner with one of my favorites, salmon. It only takes minutes to make, just allow 30 minutes to marinate the salmon. A great week-night dinner or dinner with friends.
Tip : This dish is meant to be a bit spicy so don't reduce the hot chili sauce unless you really can't take the heat. Add a bit more if you like it hot.
- 2 3-4 oz center cut salmon fillets
- 4 baby bok choy cut into halves or quarters
- 4 oz or 10-12 shiitake or cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tspn hot chili sauce
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Mirin
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tspn grated ginger
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil spray for frying
- 1 tbsp corn starch to make slurry
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients and pour about 1/3 into a re-sealable plastic bag. Add the salmon fillets and refrigerate for .
- If your sesame seeds are un-toasted, add to a dry skillet and toast over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the sesame seeds are fragrant and begin to turn a golden color. Stay close and stir often.
- Add sesame seeds to remaining marinade. Make a slurry with 1 tbsp corn starch and 1-2 tablespoons of the remaining marinade, combine with the rest of the marinade and pour into a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Set aside until ready to use.
- Slice 4 baby bok choy into halves or thirds, rinse under cold water, and thickly slice 4 oz or 10-12 shiitake or cremini mushrooms.
- Spray a medium skillet with vegetable spray and heat over medium to high heat for 2-3 minutes or until the pan is very hot. Add the salmon, skin side up, and sear for 3-4 minutes on the first side.
- Check once during the searing of the first side and then turn skin side down and sear for another 3-4 minutes, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the marinade remaining from the salmon to the skillet, bring to a boil, reduce by half, and then add the sliced mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat to medium, top the mushrooms with the bok choy. Cook over medium heat for one or two minutes, turning the bok choy in the pan a couple of times.
- Place 3-4 bok choy pieces in the bottom of a deep bowl, top with a slice of the salmon and top the salmon with the mushrooms, pour thickened marinade over the salmon and the vegetables.