Bunches of fresh basil and the best tomatoes appear at the end of August and early into September in Toronto, but we get an earlier season in Florida. Don’t let any of this stop you from making this year round salad using vine ripened tomatoes and fresh basil. I like it best with a drizzle of fine olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 4-6 ripe vine ripened or plum tomatoes room temperature
- 2 large fresh mozzarella balls cut in half and then sliced into slices
- 1 bunch fresh basil centers reserved and leaves sliced
- kosher salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over tomato cheese mixture
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Slice tomatoes and cut each fresh mozzarella ball in half, and slice each half into slices roughly the thickness of the tomato slices.
- Arrange tomatoes and cheese on individual serving plates, alternating between the cheese and the tomato slices.
- If the plates were prepared in advance, the cheese may have let out some liquid. Drain the plates if necessary and wipe the rims
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and drizzle extra virgin olive oil on each plate and top with the reserved basil.